Call for participants: ‘The Talking Shop’
This is an amazing opportunity for passionate young people with strong opinions who want to work with us to devise a talk as part of an event which will explore what it means to be a young person in 2013. You will be keen to work towards developing your talk, from initial sketches, to refinement and rehearsal ready for public performance at an event at the Lit & Phil in Newcastle as part of this year’s Juice Festival.
Your talk will be up to eight minutes long and can argue any point or tell any story so long as it engages with the following question and theme: ‘What does it mean to be a young person in these changing times?’ You might, for example, consider the rise of social media, or you might want to look at how spending cuts are affecting your generation, or how increasing tuition fees are changing the face of education. It’s your talk, so it’s your call.
What you will get:
• The opportunity to perform your own brief talk in front of a public audience at the glorious Lit & Phil library, one of the North East’s most significant historical venues for learning and debate
• Five intense workshop sessions plus rehearsal time with professional writer Jake Campbell and theatre director Amy Golding. These will include work on formulating and developing written content; improving performance technique; and increasing confidence and public speaking skills
• The event featuring your talk will be filmed and the film will be promoted widely via Juice, New Writing North and Changemakers’ networks
• Most of all, the chance to shape a youth-led debate as part of Juice Festival, where people will be keen to hear your opinions and views
To do all of this, we are looking for people who are:
• Passionate, confident and committed to developing their ideas into talks that can be refined for public performance
• Available for all of the key dates of the project. (Dates below)
• Between 15 and 25 years old
If you would like to be considered, go to http://newwritingnorth.wufoo.eu/forms/the-talking-shop-application-form/ where you can find an online application form. The deadline is Friday 26 July.
For more information, or to ask any questions, please email [email protected].
The key dates are: 7 August, 12 August, 21 August, 28 August, 14 September, 26 October, 28 October, 29 October.
Please be aware that selected candidates will be invited to an informal, but compulsory, casting morning on Wednesday 31 July.