New Narratives for the North East | Commissioned Writing
Early in 2020, fifteen writers were commissioned to create new work about the North East in an ambitious project from New Writing North and the North East Culture Partnership.
We believe that in order to thrive we need strong narratives and stories, which help shape our collective imagination. We believe that the North East needs new narratives to tell its story and to help shape its future.
In late 2019, we launched the call-out for New Narratives of the North East, a major commissioning strand for new work across genres.
The project was announced following massive political events for the region, including the Brexit vote and the 2019 General Election. The commissions were made during a global pandemic in which areas of the North East have been amongst the worst hit in Britain.
Yet, the 15 writers are asked to look beyond the flux and rhetoric of the current moment to capture something deeper and more lasting about the contemporary North East and its people.
You can read each of the writers’ resulting responses below.
Read the commissioned pieces
- Sing the North | by David AlmondRead More about Sing the North | by David Almond
- Writing the Missing: A River Cycle | by Lisette AutonRead More about Writing the Missing: A River Cycle | by Lisette Auton
- Street Life | by Lyndsey AyreRead More about Street Life | by Lyndsey Ayre
- Making Work for Ourselves | by Richard BensonRead More about Making Work for Ourselves | by Richard Benson
- Welcome to the West End | by Bethan CurleyRead More about Welcome to the West End | by Bethan Curley
- Immersion | by Lauren DaviesRead More about Immersion | by Lauren Davies
- A Dream Come True | by Andrew HankinsonRead More about A Dream Come True | by Andrew Hankinson
- Winged Docs | by India HunterRead More about Winged Docs | by India Hunter
- A Wicked Issue – The case of Dominic Cummings and who speaks for the North-East | by Richard T KellyRead More about A Wicked Issue – The case of Dominic Cummings and who speaks for the North-East | by Richard T Kelly
- Finfolk | by Carmen MarcusRead More about Finfolk | by Carmen Marcus
- The Real Bernicians or How to Create a Country | by J. A. MensahRead More about The Real Bernicians or How to Create a Country | by J. A. Mensah
- Tynedale by Bullet Train | by Alex NivenRead More about Tynedale by Bullet Train | by Alex Niven
- Regina and Barates – A Tale of the North-West Frontier | by Bronwen RileyRead More about Regina and Barates – A Tale of the North-West Frontier | by Bronwen Riley
- Camaraderie and Chaos: lockdown at the REfUSE Cafe | by Miriam Skinner, with Paige WalmsleyRead More about Camaraderie and Chaos: lockdown at the REfUSE Cafe | by Miriam Skinner, with Paige Walmsley
- DH1: A Tale of Two Cities | by Melissa TutesigensiRead More about DH1: A Tale of Two Cities | by Melissa Tutesigensi