About New Writing North
New Writing North leads the development of creative writing and reading in the North of England. We are based in Newcastle upon Tyne, where we have produced nationally significant work since 1996.
We are proud to be a charity and an Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation.
We believe that writing talent is everywhere, but that opportunities are not. We work hard to both identify talent and create fantastic career-changing opportunities for people from across society.
We develop programmes and activities that inspire people to engage with creative writing and reading, whether this is to develop their skills and professional ambitions or for pleasure and wellbeing.
We help excellent writing find local, regional, national, and international audiences.
Our programme includes:
- the management of major international literary prizes The David Cohen Prize for Literature and the Gordon Burn Prize
- open-access and targeted talent development programmes for writers, including the Northern Writers’ Awards;
- the production of the annual Durham Book Festival and regular literary events;
- an award-winning Young Writers programme that reaches young people in schools and communities
- community engagement projects that encourage reading and writing for pleasure and for wellbeing
- commissioning, publishing, broadcasting and producing new writing
- international writing and translation projects.