New Writing North call to tender: Design for Durham Book Festival
1. Who we are
New Writing North is the development agency for creative writing and reading in the North of England and an Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation. We work in partnership with regional and national partners to produce a range of literary and performance activities including flagship projects such as the Northern Writers’ Awards, Cuckoo Young Writers, the Gordon Burn Prize and Durham Book Festival. We specialise in developing and investing in writers of all ages and act as a dynamic broker between writers, producers, publishers and broadcasters across the creative industries.
Durham Book Festival is a Durham County Council festival, which has been produced by New Writing North since 2011. The festival receives funding from Arts Council England and Durham University is a key partner. Durham Book Festival is one of the North East’s major annual literary events, which is known for its original commissions from northern writers, as well as for bringing leading writers and thinkers to the region.
2. Design brief
We are looking for a designer to work with us on Durham Book Festival 2016.
The designer will come up with a new look and feel for the Durham Book Festival’s printed and digital materials. These include:
• Durham Book Festival’s 48-page brochure
• ‘The Big Read’ poster and postcard
• Banner, adapted for various sizes
• Print and digital advertisements, adapted for various sizes
• E-flyer/newsletter template
The new design will need to incorporate the current Durham Book Festival logo. It will also work with our current website design
, which can be re-skinned for a new colour palette.
A PDF of last year’s brochure can be found at
. We would like the design to reflect that Durham Book Festival is accessible and fun; grown up and accomplished.
3. Timeline and delivery
Commission awarded: 1 March 2016
Initial design ideas submitted: 22 March 2016
Final design agreed: 30 May 2016
The main work on the brochure will take place in June and July 2016, with delivery to printers by w/c 18 July 2016.
4. Project management
4.1 Meetings and communication
Consultants will be expected to outline how they will manage the design and implementation of the project and the delivery to New Writing North.
Project Management Group
Claire Malcolm, Chief Executive
Rebecca Wilkie, Programme Manager (Festivals and Events)
Laura Fraine, Marketing and Communications Manager
Submitting a proposal
The consultant should supply the following information:
1. Portfolio of relevant work.
2. Fixed price quotation for carrying out this work plus day rates for any additional work requested by the client.
3. Information on the availability of the consultant(s) to undertake this work between March and May 2016.
4. CV for the proposed consultant(s) who will personally deliver the project that should Include details of their specific experience and expertise of the type required to deliver this project.
5. Proposal and methodology (including timetable) for carrying out the work.
6. (Max 3 x A4 pages), to include: Anticipated programme of work that identifies key stages and deliverables.
7. Contact details for 2 references from the last 2 years of relevant work experience.
Applications for this work will be scored on the following criteria:
Quality of design ideas
Examples / experience provided of similar types of work undertaken
Quality of the proposal and methodology
Value for money
Deadline for submissions: 12 noon, Friday 19 February 2016.
Proposals should be emailed to Laura Fraine [email protected]. Any queries in advance of submission can also be made to this contact by email or by phone on 0191 204 8850.
To download the brief as a PDF, please click here. To view other briefs that New Writing North have put out to tender, please go to our News section.