Read Regional: Call for submissions for the 2013 campaign
Open call for submissions for new books by North East and Yorkshire and Humberside-based writers for Read Regional 2013
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS MONDAY 4 MARCH 2013
We are delighted to open the call for publishers and writers to propose books for inclusion in the 2013 Read Regional campaign.
We are looking to include a variety of books in our 2013 campaign and welcome submissions of fiction, writing for children, poetry and creative non-fiction. Books must be available as paperbacks by the beginning of August 2013 and authors must be available to participate in at least four events across the North East and Yorkshire between September 2013 and April 2014.
Run in conjunction with over 20 library authorities across the north of England, the Read Regional project connects writers to readers via libraries, festivals and bookshops. The campaign will feature a set number of books that will be promoted heavily between September 2013-April 2014.
All participating libraries purchase bulk book orders and receive supporting marketing campaign materials. We produce a range of marketing materials to promote the project: A Read Regional magazine featuring author interviews and extracts from the books, bookmarks, posters and reading guides for selected books.
The project is a great way for publishers to launch new authors or for authors who are looking to build their profiles and extend their readership. We are looking to work with authors who are keen to work with libraries and to be flexible and enthusiastic about joining in with a variety of events. Previous authors involved with the campaign include Stephen May, Ann Cleeves, Dan Smith and Fiona Shaw.
Submitted books must be by a writer who currently lives and works in the north east of England or Yorkshire. You can check the regions, as defined by our funders Arts Council England, at www.artscouncil.org.uk/who-we-are/working-in-the-regions/.
How to submit
If you would like to submit a book for consideration, please send the following:
• A copy of the book (or proof copy/manuscript – electronically is fine)
• Information on the launch date
• Any notable review coverage
• A cover image
• A biography of the author and details about their place of residence
• Information on the publication date and on any PR plans or author events that are already in place
• Cover price of the book
Please submit books by post and the entry info by email to:
Read Regional Submissions
c/o Rebecca Wilkie
New Writing North
PO Box 1277
Newcastle upon Tyne
Email: [email protected]
The small print
• We do not accept submissions of self-published work and cannot include e-Books in the campaign.
• If a book is selected for the campaign we will expect to purchase copies for 50% of the cover price. Please do not enter a book for submission if it will not be possible for you to supply at this price.
• The selected books will be decided by the end of April 2013.