Tarjem: Arabic-English Translation Workshop, Sharjah
As part of the Sharjah Market Focus at The London Book Fair in March 2020, the British Council have partnered with New Writing North, Kalimat Group and Sharjah World Book Capital to offer an Arabic-English/English-Arabic Translation Workshop in February 2020.
This is an opportunity for up to six mid-career Arabic-English and up to six English-Arabic translators to take part in a three-day developmental workshop focusing on literary translation. The workshop will involve a study visit to Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates between 12-16 February 2020.
The workshop will consist of a series of sessions designed to:
- Enhance practical skills of professionals working in Arabic-English/English-Arabic translation.
- Improve awareness of opportunities for translators working in this area, offering advice for continuing professional development.
- Forge and maintain networks amongst translators, publishers and other literary professionals
- Explore Sharjah as a translation hub in the region.
The workshop will include professional development seminars, practical translation sessions, networking opportunities, and feature expert guest speakers from publishing and translation from the UK, the UAE and across the Arab World.
To be eligible you must:
- Be a mid-career translator from either Arabic-English or English-Arabic
- Have a track record of published translations; experience may include shorter work in anthologies and journals such as individual poems or essays, as well as full-length works.
- Demonstrate a focus on literary translation; although the workshop will focus on literary translation, translators with experience in other areas of writing may apply if they can show that they would like to expand the range of their work.
- Demonstrate a desire to expand their skills and knowledge.
Applicants must be available to travel to Sharjah between 12 and 16 February 2020.
It is the participants’ responsibility to:
- Take out and maintain travel insurance (including personal accident and medical coverage).
- Take medical advice as required.
The British Council will apply and pay for visas for any participants, if applicable.
The British Council will provide economy class travel, visas fees (if required), and up to 4 nights’ accommodation and hospitality.
The application window is open between Thursday 28 November and 23.59 GMT Thursday 12 December.
Applicants should answer the application questions, provide an up-to-date CV and an extract of a recent translation (up to 1000 words).
All applications should be made via Submittable at this link.
Image © British Council