Young Writers’ Talent Fund: Call for applicants
New Writing North’s Young Writers’ Talent Fund opens for its second round of applications!
The Young Writers’ Talent Fund supports people aged 15-25 living in Newcastle upon Tyne, looking to contribute to the culture of the region. The fund has been created as the result of a legacy from the Northern Rock Foundation, and offers aspiring and early career writers the chance for bespoke support and development opportunities. There will be a range of awards made which will invest in talent, ambition and good ideas in the fields of literature and writing. We want to ensure that this funding has a significant impact on the recipient’s ability to pursue their talent and ideas.
For examples of previous recipients of investment from the programme, visit the Young Writers’ Talent Fund project page.
We can support projects across a range of literature or writing forms including: graphic novels, spoken word, flash fiction, script, poetry, prose, journalism, blogging, or another area of arts or cultural activity that you would like to persuade us fits into ‘literature and writing’. There is a total funding pot of £8000 available and we aim to make 5-8 awards. The awards may part-fund or fully fund a project.
Each of the bursary recipients will have a meeting with staff at New Writing North to plan out their project. If required NWN staff will continue to meet the recipients throughout the year to support them in their project
What we could fund:
- People who want to use the funding to develop a piece of art or literature, or want to develop an arts-based project
- Young producers or publishers who want to set up a new initiative or support an existing one (eg. spoken word night, reviewing blog, poetry magazine etc)
- Writers, artists, producers, publishers who want to buy some mentoring to help them develop their work
- Professional development, such as supporting the costs of a work placement or short training programme, which will have a significant impact on their career in the arts or literature
What we will not fund:
- People who live of the area of Newcastle or who have lived in/around Newcastle for less than 3 years (except in exceptional circumstances please contact us to enquire)
- People aged under 15 or over 25 at the deadline date (Friday 1 June 2018)
- People who want to use the funding to support university or college fees or audition or interview expenses for university or college.
- People who want to use the funding to support activity that is not literature or writing related
If there is a project or initiative you have in mind but you aren’t sure whether it fits the criteria, please contact Holly Sinkinson at [email protected] or 0191 204 8851.
The decision-making panel will look for:
- Applications that are likely to have a significant impact on the prospects of the applicant
- Evidence of quality in the work you are developing
- Good ideas that will have an impact on the cultural life of Newcastle (if you are a publisher or producer)
We believe that all writers should have the opportunity to tell their stories and we work with under-represented communities to help make this happen. We would like our workforce to better reflect the diverse communities in which we work.
To apply for the scheme please fill in the application form. The shortlisted candidates may be asked to attend a meeting before final decisions are made. Deadline for applications is Friday 1 June 2018.